Sunday, April 22, 2018

Scottie Manna


Scottie Manna

By Ginger McAfee





One fall, several years ago, we were apparently infested with a mouse family. We got the big ones but the babies are too small to set off a trap, they just stole the cheese and ran. I lifted up the dish drainer in my sink one day and there was a tiny baby mouse, probably no more than an inch long, that could not get out. I rushed the dogs outside, got a plastic container with a lid, scooped him up and took him outside to the field next door.


That night, his brother must have been looking for him because he ran across the counter while I was cooking supper. I screeched, and called Jim to come help me catch him. As Jim pulled the small appliances away from the wall to find him, I went to get another plastic container (I threw the other one away). All the commotion brought on the Scotties, who were dancing on their back legs lunging up at the counter. (Fat chance of getting them outside at this point) The wee mouse ran out from behind the toaster, and scampered over the edge of the counter before I could get back with the container. He apparently lost traction, and went hurdling through space toward four open mouths. Fiona was the lucky one to get the manna from heaven. I don't think she even bit it, but I think he just went sliding down her throat. YUCK!! I could just imagine a wee mouse wiggling in her tummy for hours. (Shudder) For the next two days, she stood vigil by the counter, just waiting for more treats to fall from heaven.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Scottie Manna

Scottie Manna By Ginger McAfee One fall, several years ago, we were apparently infested with a mouse family. We got the big ...